Connecting Scotland - Phase 2
The Connecting Scotland Initiative aims to digitally connect people so they can access services and support and connect with friends and family during the pandemic.
Connecting Scotland is a Scottish Government initiative being managed by the Scottish Council for Voluntary Organisations. Visit https://connecting.scot/ for more information.
The programme has been supported by a range of partners and set up in response to the coronavirus pandemic to provide support to vulnerable people who are at home and are digitally excluded.
Within Dumfries and Galloway this project is being supported by Dumfries and Galloway Council and Third Sector Dumfries and Galloway.
Digital connectivity is keeping most of us connected to friends and family, informed and entertained, and able to learn, work, shop and access public services during the pandemic.
However, there are many people who do not have:
- access to kit - an appropriate internet enabled device
- access to connectivity - the ability to pay for broadband or mobile data
- the skills and confidence to get online - many people that have been given devices by friends or family may be unable to use them
SCVO work through organisations (including local authorities and the voluntary sector) who are already working with these groups to reach them and provide support. Training will be provided to staff and volunteers working for those organisations to be able to support people to use the internet safely, confidently, and effectively.
Phase 1 (April - July 2020) focused on those who were at risk of isolation due to coronavirus because they were in the extremely high vulnerability group ('shielding') or the higher risk of severe illness group.
Phase 2 is live and has identified two target groups as follows:
- households with children, or where a child is normally resident (this includes pregnant women with no child in the household)
- care leavers up to the age of twenty-six (in line with eligibility for aftercare support)
How to apply for Phase 2
Organisations working with people in the target groups for Phase 2 can apply for devices to distribute.
To apply for Phase 2 visit: https://connecting.scot/about
The closing date for applications is 11am on 5 October 2020.