Face Coverings in Schools - Updated Guidance
On Friday 30 October, the Scottish Government provided updated guidance on reducing the risks from COVID-19 in schools and the childcare sector.
Dumfries and Galloway is currently in Level 2.
This means the following changes to guidance on face coverings within our schools:
Within our schools
Teachers and school staff:
- at Levels 0-2 face coverings should be worn by adults where they cannot keep two metres from other adults and / or children and young people across primary and secondary (except for early years and Primary 1 and 2)
- at all Levels face coverings should be used by adults when not working directly with children, for example when moving around schools or when in staff rooms, administrative areas or canteens.
- As before, pupils in our secondary schools are required to wear face coverings when they are in communal areas including corridors and toilets.
Visitors to our schools and nurseries
The latest guidance states that face coverings should now be worn by parents and other visitors to all school sites.
For our schools, this means the following:
Visitors to our schools:
- Anyone wishing to visit the school/nursery should phone the school in advance.
- When entering the building, face coverings should be worn.
- If visiting the wider school site, face coverings should be worn.
Pick up and Drop Offs
The updated guidance states that face coverings should be worn by all who enter the school grounds.
For our schools and nurseries, this means the following:
Drop offs and Pick ups:
- If parents enter the school grounds to drop off or to pick up their children, face coverings should be worn.
Leaving the school grounds at Lunchtime
School pupils can leave the school grounds at lunch times. If they do, they are expected to act as good citizens and comply with the Scottish Government guidance, and adhere to physical distancing guidance. Face coverings should be worn in supermarkets, shops and local eateries.
As with public transport, ALL pupils must wear a face covering when travelling on a school bus both to and from the school each day. The face covering should be worn for the duration of the journey.
Latest Scottish Government Guidance
Frequently Asked Questions:
Q. If I am wearing a face covering, do I still need to maintain a 2m physical distance in the playground when dropping off my child?
A. Yes. Adults should continue to maintain a 2m physical distance even when wearing a face covering.
Q. Do I need to wear a face covering outside the school gates?
A. No, face coverings do not need to be worn outside the school grounds. However, adults should maintain a 2m physical distance from one another and avoid congestion.
Q. My child is in primary school. Do they need to wear a face covering when I collect them?
A. No, primary children do not need to wear a face covering when they are collected by their parent/guardian
Q. My child is in secondary school. Do they need to wear a face covering during their classes?
A. Dumfries and Galloway is currently in Level 2. As such, pupils do not need to wear face coverings during their classes.