2021 Summer Holiday Food Payment
Schools will close for the 2021 Summer holidays from Monday 28 June and will reopen to pupils on Thursday 19 August.
Our Council will be issuing payments of £17.50 per child per week to all families who are registered for Free School Meals within our region.
This is in addition to support delivered through the Family Pandemic Payments and the £130 Low Income Pandemic Payment.
Who will receive the payment?
- Children in P4-S6 who receive Free School Meals will be eligible for the payment.
- Children in P1-P3 who are eligible due to low income or qualifying benefits only. Children in P1-P3 who receive universal Free School Meals and who do not meet the financial qualifying conditions for Free School Meals are not eligible for these additional payments.
- Younger children in an early learning and childcare setting who meet the eligibility for Free School Meals (low income or qualifying benefits) will also receive the payment.
Is the payment per family or per child?
- Payment will be made for each eligible child in the household.
- Where more than one child qualifies in a household one payment covering all children will be received
How will I receive the payment?
- Payment will be made automatically for all eligible children registered to receive Free School Meals. There is no need to reapply. We will use the payment details we currently hold for you.
- If your payment details have changed since you received your Spring Hardship Payment/payment in recompense of missed free meals, you must tell us as soon as possible using this form:
When will I receive the payment?
- All eligible children who previously received the Spring Hardship Payment, or who have applied for and have been awarded Free School Meals by 21 June 2021, will receive their first Summer Holidays Food Payment, covering the period 26 June 2021 to 23 July 2021, on Friday 25 June 2021. We will use the payment we currently hold for you to make payment.
- All eligible children, who apply for and are awarded Free School Meals after 25 June 2021, will receive their first payment, covering the period 26 June 2021 to 23 July 2021, by Friday 10 July 2021.
- The second Summer Holidays Payment, covering the period 24 July 2021 to 18 August 2021, will be paid by 23 July 2021.
I have not applied for Free School Meals but I think I qualify. Will I get the payment?
- To qualify for the Summer Holidays Food Payment your application for Free School Meals must be submitted by the end of school term on Friday 25 June.
- New applications can be made online using our existing Clothing Grant and Free School Meals application form.
The application is quick and easy to complete. You will need your National Insurance Number and bank account details.
You may be asked to provide proof of your eligibility. For example, if you are in receipt of Universal Credit you will need to provide screenshots of your most recent assessment period showing your full award. If you receive Child Tax Credit, you will need to provide a copy of your Tax Credit Letter of Award when you apply.
Effect on other benefits
- If you receive Universal Credit, then this payment will be counted as capital. This will not normally affect the amount you receive unless you have savings or other capital totalling over £6,000. If you are concerned that this payment could impact your Universal Credit award, you should report the payment in your journal by signing into your Universal Credit account or by calling the Universal Credit helpline on 0800 328 5644.
- This payment will be disregarded in full for other benefits and for income tax purposes.