Scottish Child Payment Bridging Payments 2021
The Scottish Government published details of Scottish Child Payment Bridging Payments on 30 August 2021.
Dumfries & Galloway Council will therefore pay £160 this Christmas for each P1 to S6 pupil who is entitled to Free School Meals due to their parent/guardian being in receipt of low income or a qualifying benefit. The payment can be used by families for any purpose as they see fit. There is no expectation that these payments are to be used for any specific purpose.
This is in addition to support delivered through the continuation of Free School Meals over the school holidays. 2021 Winter Holiday Food Payment.
Who will receive the payment?
- Children in P4-S6 who receive Free School Meals will be eligible for the payment.
- Children in P1-P3 who are eligible due to low income or qualifying benefits only. Children in P1-P3 who receive universal Free School Meals, and who do not meet the financial qualifying conditions for Free School Meals, are not eligible for these additional payments.
- Pre-school aged children are not eligible for this additional payment. The Scottish Child Payment is available for children under the age of 6 - to find out more about this and to apply please visit Scottish Child Payment - mygov.scot.
Is the payment per family or per child?
- A payment of £160 will be made for each eligible child in the household.
How will I receive the payment?
- Payment will be made automatically for all children entitled to receive Free School Meals. There is no need to reapply, we will use the payment details we currently hold for you.
- If your payment details have changed since you received your School Clothing Grant, you must tell us as soon as possible using this form:
When will I receive the payment?
- All children entitled to Free School Meals due to low income or a qualifying benefit, who apply for and are awarded Free School Meals by 3 December 2021, will receive the Winter Pandemic Support Payment by Friday 17 December 2021. We will use the payment details we currently hold for you.
- All eligible children who apply for and are awarded Free School Meals after 3 December 2021 will receive the payment in the New Year.
I have not applied for Free School Meals but I think I qualify. Will I get the payment?
- To qualify for the Winter Scottish Child Payment Bridging Payment your application for Free School Meals must be submitted by the end of school term on Wednesday 22 December 2021.
- New applications can be made online using our existing Clothing Grant and Free School Meals application form:
The application is quick and easy to complete. You will need your National Insurance Number and bank account details.
You may be asked to provide proof of your eligibility. For example, if you are in receipt of Universal Credit you will need to provide a screenshot of your most recent assessment period showing your full award. If you receive Child Tax Credit, you will need to provide a copy of your Tax Credit Letter of Award when you apply.
What is the deadline for applications?
- To qualify for the £160 payment all applications must be submitted by the end of school term on Wednesday 22 December 2021.
Effect on other benefits
- If you receive Universal Credit, then this payment will be counted as capital. This will not normally affect the amount you receive unless you have savings or other capital totaling over £6,000. If you are concerned that this payment could impact your Universal Credit award, you should report the payment in your journal by signing into your Universal Credit account or by calling the Universal Credit helpline on 0800 328 5644.
- This payment will be disregarded in full for other benefits and for income tax purposes.
Other relevant information
- Further information is available at Scottish Child Payment Bridging Payments - mygov.scot